A friend in need is a friend indeed. This is what we know for ages and there are times we have been that friend or had help from such a friend.
The help of a dear friend during such a need is not always so smooth and in a non-embarrassing way. Only when the help received fulfils certain criteria, we are at ease in totality with that dear friend. Yup, even the help needs to fulfil certain criterion.
உடுக்கை இழந்தவன் கைபோல ஆங்கே
இடுக்கண் களைவதாம் நட்பு.
Udukkai izhanthavan kaipole aange
Idukkan kalaivathaam natpu
Like the hand that moves reflexively when the dress slips,
a friend reacts swiftly to remove a woe. [Couplet 788]
What are the points to be noted in those little lines?
- The trust one has on the dress they wear is absolute and not expected to fail you at any time.
- Such trust was betrayed and in the act of losing the cloth, you would end up losing your dignity and much more.
- At that time, the hand reflexively holds it up to save the situation.
- You won’t even realise that the dress was slipping, a command was sent from brain to hand, the issue was over within few seconds.
- Such that should be the help of a friend.
- The friend notices you are slipping up
- The friend comes to act without explicit calling for.
- The friend resolves the slip and covers up.
- So quick and unfailingly.
THAT, is the perfect example of friendship and if you have got such a friend, be assured you are as rich as a human could be and in case, you don’t have such a friend, be that friend and make someone richer today..